Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Homeward Bound

Where my love life's waiting silently for me.  
         Paul Simon

After thirty five years I'm moving my office home. Home. I love the sound of it and am looking forward to having my office just steps away from my home.

In 1992,  months prior to Mr. G's departure to work for the state, we got word that Josh's host family was going to visit from Denmark. At the time we had a shell of a building behind our house, the bottom of which was a serviceable shop, the second floor completely unfinished. I sincerely mean seriously unfinished: bare studs; no insulation unfinished. The saving grace was that we were relatively young and could work like crazy for long hours. And we did. I vividly remember hours before the Danes arrived sticking annuals around the shop in a desperate attempt at making the guest house look finished and homey. Happily the Danish family was the soul of graciousness and actually praised us for providing them with this simple space to sleep.

Fast forward twenty years, the guest house has been used by family members and a host of guests from around the country. Several years ago we even had my niece and her family enscounced there for six weeks while they were finding a place to rent. In other words, it's served its purpose. Now its new purpose will be to not only accomodate my family but additionally, my small office.

The best thing about having worked as hard as I have for thirty five years is I don't feel a pressing need to beat the bushes for business. [Sounds like a song doesn't it?] If people choose to follow me out here, three miles from our town, lovely, if not, there is a garden and a house that always needs attention, meals to prepare and things to be written.

Writing this blog is such a pleasure, I'm continually hoping that it is useful and at the very least amusing. Remember, that's my dictum to be aware and amused each day.

Due to lack of funds and having this bifricated life with Mr. G in Bellingham and me here, we never expanded our small house. Turns out this was a blessing, there is little up keep and it's so easy to clean. We do most of our entertaining in the summer and we throw open the doors to the deck and feel as though we have another room. The sons bring their families and tents and everyone gathers outside on the 'lawn' [quack grass] and we play games and eat huge BBQed meals. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Ah, there's nothing like staying at home for real comfort.                              Jane Austen
Delightful grands enjoying a summer Groutfest

 So, I'm bidding adieu to my town office and saying hello to my home office. I've got to get crackin' I move out in exactly one month, April Fool's day. Fitting.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2012 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment