Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Read, Read, Read



One of best lessons I had as a young woman working at a Children's hospital was from a nurse who was giving 'Rounds'. These rounds happened, weekly or sometimes only monthly.  I wasn't always able to attend as I was taking care of the very sick kids. One of the things that the nurse stressed was something that was taught in her training.  She held up a medicine bottle and said "a very underrated but incredibly important part of our job is to dispense these pills. In doing so we were taught to "read, read, read" three times before administering a drug to a patient." This scrappy little nurse continued, "this isn't just a small factoid, it is literally a method of saving lives." That stuck with me. Paying close attention requires an intent focus and to be very acutely conscious and present for the important things in life.

Along those lines The Checklist Manifesto  by Dr. Atul Gawande makes a strong case to use a checklist in basically every home and business operation to improve outcomes. Checklist are imperative in hospitals and when used religiously do in fact save lives. Also each and every time a pilot flies a plane, she goes through a checklist. A good teacher prepares her students with a checklist of what is expected of them and what they will cover in class.  Frequent reviewing of the goals and expectations help in my field of counseling,

This rule of read, read, read is even important in cooking. For a professional chef this is imperative. Though I have to confess that I am an "eyeball it" and wing it sort of chef but then I'm only pleasing myself and my guests. I do make a practice of reading cookbooks like  they are novels and  from those basic recipes I will rift like a musician or an artist. I could somewhat successfully argue that being a cook for close to half a century makes me confident in what is necessary for a delicious meal, however even if I don't rigorously follow a recipe, I do read, read, read, what is necessary for the dish.

How about using read, read, read for success in life? I ran into a friend of one of my nieces on the ferry a couple of months ago--we were delighted to catch up with each other.  She said, to my surprise,  "you told me something when I was floundering at 18 because I hadn't entered college yet and was so unsure about what to do in my life... You said, just continue to read, and read all the time." I didn't  remember this but I was pleased I had encouraged her to read, read, read because books and reading is so very important in life. Then she continued, " I took the advice to heart and it has helped me throughout my life, in college and with my career."

We read books to find out who we are. What other people, real or imaginary, do and think and feel is an essential guide to our understanding of what we ourselves are and may become.                                                                                                                    Ursula K. LeGuin 
I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for books.                                                                          Jane Ricketts 
I am a reader and it gives me the greatest pleasure, comfort and solace. Reading has opened worlds to me, to other's dreams and ideas, to sympathies for people I will never met or know, to ones who may not even exist. All four of my grandchildren are readers, blessed by the fact that their parents are readers and read to them at early ages. Now they, and we, continue to embark on the most tantalizing of journeys: the journey into worlds that are different and possibly more complex than our own. Our only equipment we need for these distant ports is our eyes, sufficient light, a comfortable spot, some quiet and lots of snacks. The treats and the treasures await us with the right books and I'm a true believer that those that say "I really don't enjoy reading," just haven't stumbled upon the right books. I watch this phenomena occur before my eyes in my office when I hear that stale retort from clients. I quiz them on where their interests lay and then I throw out about half a dozen titles to try. Always successful? Well, no, but the successes keep me as hooked as one of those dreadful match makers. It's such a high when it does work. Then the love affair can really begin.

I cannot imagine life without books. They are a comfort and a source of information, a place to discover other ideas, lives and dreams. When I had clients who would claim they didn't like to read, I always said, "you just haven't found the right book." To find the right book depends on the person's taste, their circumstances, their history.

Oscar Wilde said, "to love one's self is the beginning of a life long romance" and I believe this is also true with books. Hold them, treasure them, give them, love them and share them, your world will expand and abound.

susansmagicfeather 2020 copyright, all rights reserved, Susan R. Grout







No comments:

Post a Comment