Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Small Town Therapist on Growing Continually

Good lighting is essential when being photographed
Learn as if you are going to live forever. Live as if you are going to die tomorrow.                   Anon 
It's only when I get news that one of our colleagues is injured, sick or dead that I turn away from the mirror, examining my face with the latest wrinkle and deeply appreciate my health and the ability to enjoy the time I have left on earth. This is sad for two reasons: one, that someone I love is in trouble or gone, and two, that I am capable of being so petty. 

Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep the mind young.  Henry Ford

I started thinking about this pettiness after I bought a new computer, which sounds profound---the entire world at my finger tips. Shallow in that it should include my ability and knowledge of how to best utilize this laptop. One unfortunate part of owning this tablet is that sometimes it sits in my lap. When the power is off and the screen is dark I can see my face gazing down---with each line and wrinkle outlined on the screen. Then, to make matters worse, I generally scowl at myself which only increases the temporary displeasure. Fortunately for the sentiments in the first paragraph of this post, I relish- very much- my health, my life and my loved ones.
To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent- that is to triumph over old age.                      Thomas Bailey Aldrich
So I am trying to do the above, 'keep my heart unwrinkled', to stay open to new experiences and to learn things that are challenging to me. [Like learning to use the functions of the little computer, and successfully handling and finishing the writing of this book.]  

I always endeavor to be kind in all my dealings with all people I encounter. Cheerfulness is next to godliness as far as I'm concerned, even in a difficult day I can find something to be amused about, that's part of my religion. As for reverent, well, will irreverent do in a pinch? That's exactly how I plan to triumph over old age if I am lucky enough to live to a ripe old age.  I want to strive to be knowledgeable and lively and find joy in most things in life.
With two sisters at New Years



Another thought about the above list: I'm so lucky I was to be born in this country. In observing the bigger picture, we all must remember that women in other countries in the world regularly die in child birth or with some dread disease, are being sold into slavery, have little or no education, work until they drop, are beaten senseless with no repercussions, are required to be veiled, wear a burka and/or stoned to death for not wearing the burka, have no access to birth control and no choice for a husband. Whew, my good fortune to be a woman in the USA. Let's all keep working on advancing women's rights. So add this to the above list: I express gratitude each and every day for my good fortune, which is an obvious and easy way for me to triumph over ageing.

A favorite author of mine, Norah Efron died in 2013 at the somewhat young age of 71. She made fun of her own feelings about ageing in I Feel Bad About My Neck and I Remember Nothing. She wrote and amused us, even from her sick bed. Sure she made tons of money from her writings and movies [who doesn't love 'When Harry Met Sally?'], but she also opened her head and heart to us all. She wasn't a world politician, she didn't set policy, stop the war on drugs or guns, help impoverished people or find a cure for cancer, but darn it, she made us laugh. Norah will be fondly remembered for a long, long time and that is the kind of legacy that appeals to me.
 I am large I contain multitudes.    Walt Whitman

It's not the years in your life but the life in your years that counts.    Adlai Stevenson 

The last laugh
susansmagicfeather  2024 Susan R. Grout 

No comments:

Post a Comment