Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Mean Mrs. Grout


No one goes hungry around our house, some get more than their share...

This post is written to finally put an end to the nasty rumors that started over thirty years ago about me. Though incredibly tickled that I had become a threat used by mothers all over our small town I believe it is time to put the record straight.

Here's what really happened over thirty years ago. One night I had overcompensated for our usual humble dinners and made "Chicken a la Orange" with a fine sauce and a fussed over chicken. I proudly placed the meal on the table and one of my sons groaned and said, "oh, no, not this!" I started  to silently fume or do my usual: try to talk the uninterested into becoming willing. Then a thought struck me. I said, "hey, OK, you don't want to eat it and I don't want to cook it." My son put his head on the table and said, "I feel like I killed the world." My husband quickly added, "I love your cooking..." in response to our sons angst but by then I was kind but firm about my resolution. From that day forward I stopped cooking for my family.

Sounds drastic, right? Well in my defense it was June and there was an abundance of fresh fruit and vegetables available. The kids were out for summer and none of us was particularly interested in laboriously prepared meals. So I stopped cooking. I made sure there was a wonderful and varied supply of breads and crackers, along with the fruits and veggies. Then I really stocked up on the cheeses--- pounds and pounds of cheese. Milk and OJ always available in the fridge. Cereal prominent in the cupboard and...that about covers it. I had a delightful summer, went boating with friends, had long leisurely picnics with my family, went out to eat a couple of times [we weren't exactly rolling in dough so only a couple of times] and declared it very good.

The summer wound down to fall and soon school was approaching. By this time I overheard several women say to their fussy off spring, "if you don't eat your food, I'll do what Mrs. Grout did..."  and it made me laugh every time I heard it. The truth is I started happily cooking again after the summer was over. In truth I missed it, I love to cook. But I have heard it said about "Mrs. Grout" that I stopped cooking for one year. Let the record show, it was barely two and a half months. I did like being used as a severe example though, I believe it gave me a certain pizzaz.

The outfall from the cooking strike? To this day I've never heard anything but gratitude and appreciation from either son and my husband when I, or anyone else for that matter, serves them  a meal. Goes to show ya.

We love to feed those we love and we all love good food.





susansmagicfeather copyright 2012 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment