Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bibliotherapy for Greater Wisdom

Two of the grands know the value of a good engrossing book

...Your mind is not your own. It is a gift from nature and it is imperative to use it positively, constructively. To do otherwise, to use it for worry, anger or negativity is to abuse the mighty gift.
Hua Ching Ni
We cannot live for ourselves alone. Our lives are connected by a thousand invisible threads, and along these sympathetic fibers our actions run as causes and return to us as results.
Herman Melville
I am a reader and it gives me the greatest pleasure, comfort and solace. Reading has opened worlds to me, to other's dreams and ideas, to sympathies for people I will never met or know, to ones who may not even exist. Now all four of my grandchildren are readers [ages 8 to 12] and we're embarking on the most tantalizing of journeys: the journey into worlds that are different and possibly more complex than our own. Our only equipment we need for these distant ports is our eyes, sufficient light, a comfortable spot, some quiet and lots of snacks. The treats and the treasures await us with the right books and I'm a true believer that those that say "I really don't enjoy reading," just haven't stumbled upon the right books. I watch this phenomena occur before my eyes in my office when I hear that stale retort from clients. I quiz them on where their interests lay and then I throw out about half a dozen titles to try. Always successful? Well, no, but the successes keep me as hooked as one of those dreadful match makers. It's such a high when it does work. Then the love affair can really begin.

I saw a woman a couple of years ago, "TT" who came to me and she was so depressed, she rarely got out of her house and didn't feel like calling any of her friends. We got to talking and after several sessions I asked her what she was reading. "Nothing, I just haven't found anything that interesting." The gauntlet had been thrown, ladies and gents. "Well, have you tried Broken for You by Stephanie Kallos?"  I ventured this one because she was familiar with Seattle, in her late sixties and when she was well, she loved people. Dear readers, this is all that it took. She said, "I've never read a better book, do you have any other titles." "O, about 5,000", I thought and said, "sure, how about Water for Elephants." When last I saw her she was with an old friend, had contacted her relatives and was traveling to see them and she was happy. Coincidence? I think the counseling had a pallative effect, but giving someone back the delicious joy of falling head long into a book--- delightful. It almost feels like cheating, she gives me credit and I in turn must give credit where credit is due to Sarah Gruen, Stephanie Kallos and the scads of other authors who opened up this woman's life.
This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force.
Dorothy Parker
My rule for books is 100 pages if I'm feeling generous, especially if it has come recommended by someone whose judgement I trust. If I'm not enthralled, I use the Dorothy Parker method and out it goes. If I'm not at all engaged the rule changes to 50 pages.  So let's get right down to my suggestions that I have for people, truly mostly women. I rely on Mr. G for suggestions for my male clients, he leans toward non fiction, history [which can be fiction], biographies and science. In no particular order:
  1. Mama Day, Gloria Naylor
  2. Seabiscuit, Laura Hillenbrand
  3. Cutting for Stone, Abraham Verseighe
  4. Mountain after Mountain, Tracy Kidder
  5. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
  6. Out Stealing Horses, Per Petterson
  7. Never Change, Elizabeth Berg
  8. The Ice Queen, Alice Hoffman
  9. Straight Man, Nobody's Fool, Mohawk all three by Richard Russo
  10. After All These Years, Susan Isaacs
  11. Out of Africa, Seven Gothic Tales both by Isak Dinesen
  12. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
  13. The Orchardist by Amy Copley
  14. Heft by Liz Moore
  15. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstein
  16. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel 
  17. The Fault in our Stars by John Green
  18. Longbourn by Jo Baker
  19. I Still Dream of You, Fannie Flagg also Fried Green Tomatoes
  20. The Help, Katherine Stockett
  21. True Grit, Charles Portis
  22. Good to a Fault, a Canadian author
  23. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand
  24. Most anything by MFK Fisher for those who like to cook
  25. Here are selective suggestions for mystery fans: GM Ford's series starts with  Who the Hell is Juan de Fuca; Elizabeth George's books, to be read in order; Sara Paretsky; the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueling Winspear and many, many more.
This is getting a bit silly and I honestly believe I could be at this all night, so instead I will bid you all a fond good night, and hopefully you will snuggle up with a good book. Let the invisible threads and the positive thoughts abound in your head and then go out and spread the joy.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2014 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Two books I've just read, two different authors, well written, fat books (thank you thank you from this fast reader) that I enjoyed:
    Douglas Kennedy: The Moment
    Elizabeth Kostova: The Swan Thieves ( painting and painters and psychiatry....need I say more)

    ReplyDelete