Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Small Town Therapist: Here We Go Again

 

Hopefully she has some good people for her recovery

I never casually sign up for voluntary pain, [eg. cosmetic surgery to improve the inevitable wrinkles]. That's one of the reasons that I fought not have another total hip replacement surgery. I had the first hip done in 2012. Here's a brief list of the methods I employed to fight the inevitable:
  1. I read and re read John Sarno's book Healing Back Pain in the mistaken belief that I was faking all this pain.
  2. I distracted myself from the pain mentally with loving thoughts, ignoring the the pain, pushing through the pain, giving myself stern talkings to...
  3. I distracted myself physically with breathing techniques, yoga, acupuncture, bike riding, hikes and physical therapy.
  4. I took copious vitamins, herbs like turmeric, rubs like arnica, CBD lotions, medications like aspirin, Tylenol and Aleve.
  5. I saw doctors: my primary care physician, a Rheumatoligist.
  6. I submitted to X rays.
  7. I got two professional opinions from orthopedic surgeons.

I finally faced the truth, as my chosen surgeon said, "nothing you could have done and nothing short of the total hip replacement is going to take the pain away," news for me and my poor little degenerated hip bone. So I scheduled surgery. I did not hesitate as I had done with the first surgery ten years ago.  Horribly, due to the pandemic, there was a tremendous backlog of patients basically for all surgeons. At first,  the earliest date was six months out. Grim. But I was hopeful and persistent and got a somewhat earlier date due to a cancellation. Still, the wait has been difficult. Pain increasingly awful and then inability to walk more than several yards instead of miles. The big ouch on a daily basis.

Once I had the date for surgery, as was true ten years ago, I was handed a binder called "My Joint Journey" [I am not making this up]. In it was the lush detail of how to prepare for surgery, how to prepare your house, the very necessary exercises that they recommended prior to surgery and  after surgery. Not exactly stimulating reading unless you're about to voluntarily go under the knife.

Things change. I went from the most reluctant candidate for surgery to the most impatient. Not being able to walk very far greatly influenced my turn around. I was reminded of this when, years ago, I witnessed my cat who ordinarily turned tail and ran at the sight of the cat carrier, actually walked into it after his last fight with the local bully racoon. Then the very good Mr. G took him to the vet to get patched up with hardly a guttural protest of a meow. Goes to show that when you need care, you want it ASAP. I lucked out --- someone cancelled and I got in for  this upcoming surgery two months earlier than was originally scheduled.

I knew that I was in the best of hands, I'd used this good doctor for the surgery 10 years ago. So again, my logical brain has finally kicked in to comfort me. This happens when I board an airplane, I always say to myself, "I can't fly this plane so I surrender all control to the pilot." My surgeon, a jewel of a man, radiates enthusiasm and confidence. Believe me that helps enormously. He's my pilot, I surrender control to him.

The night before surgery we'll stay with my son's family and that is always a treat and comforting. 

After surgery, I've decided that I'll spend one night in the hospital. Because we live so far away, it is condoned, thank goodness. Mostly these days they kick the recipient of this surgery out that very day. My doctor said "most people really want to go home to their own beds". Well, if I lived in the area that might be a keen idea. 

The hospital experience last time was excellent, it is a well oiled machine with caring professional nurses. I kept jokingly saying to the nurses that this was "my spa experience" and part of me was absolutely serious. OK, no mani/pedis or facials or massages but loving attention and concern about me and my experience in the hospital. Hoping this will still be the case.


This time I am eager and hopeful. At home I have also been very cautious, just like when Covid was raging. I'm not leaving my home and instead have had tea parties with all my girlfriends, individually, all meetings outside. Gratefully the weather has cooperated.

I'm not lonely I have Mr. G who is so caring and kind and with the tea parties I have tons of support from my friends. Win/win. 

susansmagicfeather copyright 2023 Susan R. Grout 

1 comment: