Monday, June 7, 2021

Soggy Experiences With Great Female Authors and More

Last month I wrote about bathing with all male authors:
https://susansmagicfeather.blogspot.com/2021/03/bathing-with-john-odonohue-and-michael.html
so now with the strength of equality in mind,  I offer this post of bathing with great female authors.

I'd like to welcome Mary Oliver, Nancy Hathaway, Jane Austen, Isabelle Allende, and Anne Patchett to the bathing experience. It's what makes thinking in the bath worth every single drop of water.  

Women poets are an unusual lot: none of us monied, few of us famous and all of us parceling out parts of ourselves in small but important increments.                                                                    Susan Grout

 I know I'm not alone in believing many of us through out the pandemic turned, with good reason, to poetry to soothe our souls. Combine that with a warm bubble filled bathtub and you have near perfection. Mary Oliver's observance of nature at it's most surprising and tender makes all of us more observant and aware of the glories of nature. Mary Oliver steadily hands us a quiet soothing moment in each of her beloved poems.

Nancy Hathaway who wrote on the Friendly Guide to the Universe gently and humorously informs us about the entire Universe through stories, mythology, science and observation. Planet by planet, star by star, quarks and more filled the tub with glee and intelligence. 

Jane Austen, who for me and billions of other women [and a few men], is a personal favorite has kept me fascinated and engaged since high school. Jane Austen started writing as  was a very young woman of 19. Think of it, her several excellent books have been cherished for over 200 years. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I've read Pride and Prejudice more than ten times and had numerous enjoyable viewings of the series on TV [the one in the '70's and the one in the 90's] and all of the movies. How extraordinary that in the early 1800's  she would claim Elizabeth Bennett as her hero. She set about to make Elizabeth Bennettt be  a woman who absolutely defied convention and is a model for females thinking for themselves. Grand. We, as women, owe her a debt of gratitude.

Here's a darling incident about a female author: I was in a Cafe in a small town in California where my younger son lives. As a treat we had brought our granddaughter to the cafe and told her she could order whatever she wanted. We got our croissants and other pastries and settled in at the outside tables. As we sat enjoying the weather and our coffee, in strolled this extraordinary vibrant older woman. She had bright exciting lipstick, black dramatic hair, a flared colorful skirt with a wide belt and a smile that lit up the outside. Following close behind was an elderly man who was, not happily, in charge of her miniature dog. I said at once, "Isabelle?" and she swooped down to give me a generous hug and she said, "it's so good to see you!"  Now I have a pleasant but fairly ordinary looking face and am frequently greeted by strangers as if they know me. Isabelle said, "I must send you and your granddaughter my latest books!" While I rushed inside to grab a pen and paper to give her my address, my husband asked Isabelle "how do you know Susan?" She said, "oh, probably from one of my book tours." I had never met her before. I was so thrilled to meet one of my favorite authors I said not a word. Returning home days later I received a book In the Midst of Winter for me and the promised book for my granddaughter. Isabelle Allende is someone so generous with her self as well as her books. What a treat! I've been a fan and admirer from afar for years.

Ever since I read and loved Bel Canto by Anne Patchett almost twenty years ago, I've read every one of her books. My imagination says that if I met Anne, like I did Isabelle Allende, she would be a friend. She is warm and genuine in her writing and picks interesting subjects. Her latest Dutch House is a good example, heartfelt, compassionate and breathes life into a family drama. Anne Patchett also is someone who puts her money where her mouth is and owns a bookstore in Nashville. I truly love a bookstore owner that has nothing to do with Amazon.

My next author's post will have to include other female favorites such as Ruth Ozeki, Amy Bloom, Lorrie Moore, Elizabeth Berg, Fanny Flagg. Stay tuned, stay aware of the rich possibilities for a pleasant soak or a long leisurely plunge into a chaise in the summer.

I'll close with a poem I wrote many years ago. 

The Intense Labor of the Poetic Aesthetic     Susan R. Grout

Writing and rewriting sometimes makes the verse worse.
Inspiration without hesitation, a trim hymn, a cozy poesy,
   beat their feet in quick retreat, leaving in their unruly tide
   strident verse I'd rather hide.
 Then raucous ramblings revert to rhyme,
   blurts and bleeps three quarter time,
   ghastly grasping the garbled glop, 
   along the page I'd like to stop.
What could have been, can never be, 
   for I've retired the liberty 
I am caged and bullied by the page. 

susansmagicfeather 2021 Susan R. Grout  





No comments:

Post a Comment