Friday, December 28, 2012

Gratitude Changes Your Attitude- A Year in Review

Some of my healing team after surgery
Friends to celebrate the end of summer
Fair time is part of the fun of Groutfest

  12/12/2012 at 12:12--- I liked the rhythm and rhyme of that date and truly started to write the year end encapsulation of all that I am grateful for, but obviously I didn't finish it on time. The whirlwind of Christmas with all of its preparation and expectations interfered. That is just an excuse but sadly, this date and time will never happen again in my life time. Should I care about this? Or is this yet another missed opportunity in the hallways of insignificant events? It seems like every day the media has another event that they want us to stew about. So I stayed bravely in the moment. I'd much rather just be in the moment and grateful for the real events in my life and there are plenty.

Sibs at Thanksjuning


That is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great.      Willa Cather
 Reasons to be grateful:

  1. Mr. G, me, and sisters Sally, Trisha and Kathleen gathered for a new tradition: Thanksjuning in LA with brother Bob and sister in law Senja. We had no idea how much fun Thanksgiving could be in June. An added plus was it rain constantly at home when we were in sunny LA. We're making this a new tradition and I/we are very grateful for the family we have.
  2. We had another successful and happy Groutfest in August with a good family gathering, much hilarity and great fun. More joy shared, more joy increased!
  3. I had my hip replaced [with titanium] in September and am now walking just fine with no pain. What a relief! You never know how just feeling OK is until you're out of constant pain. [One of my grandsons says he can feel the metal...] I am beyond grateful to all of the friends who brought me good cheer, food and laughter during my recovery.
  4. We got to travel to take care of our grandchildren and have riotous fun with the four of them. We are especially grateful to their parents, first of all for presenting us with these beloved creatures and secondly for indulging us with sleep overs at their houses.
  5. Mr. G retired in April and he is excellent at retirement. Never a word of complaint or wandering around not knowing what to do with himself. He manages his day in a lovely fruitful manner and is glad to be home and I cannot believe what a good nurse he is.
  6. A beaming new home owner with some of the family
  7. We got to have the other Thanksgiving at my sister's new house and it was a joyous feast for many reasons, especially that we were together sharing the joy of her new place that she graciously opened up to the family.
  8. Christmas is almost always fabulous for me and what added to the fun was the Nutcracker we attended on Christmas eve. This Maurice Sendak production was the "nutty" Nutcracker, where, in high energy fashion, the dancers got to spoof the ballet. Very funny and grand fun to be in on their jokes [snow didn't fall from above it was pelted! The ballerinas threw snowballs at each other and the orchestra].
  9. Nothing is better than watching the surprise and delight children have opening presents on Christmas morning. Our son and daughter in law really go all out making this a special time and we are privileged to enjoy it.
Many studies contend that having a readily available gratitude list can help you through your day, increase your sleep at night and give you a generally sunnier attitude. I concur.

Here's hoping that you're making your gratitude list of what you've appreciated from this year, even if you missed 12/12/12 at 12:12.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2012 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment