Monday, August 3, 2020

A New Dating Site in an Improbable Place

With sisters in New Orleans



I had a surprise recently, when I was "forced" to go to the new app site for Scrabble, called Scrabble Go. I love playing Scrabble and play as often as I can.  I suspected the new app was created as a boost for advertisers but, gag, there is also  gambling and has loud obnoxious commercials as well. Sigh.  I naturally warned  all my favorites, my brother Bob and his singing partner Laura who regularly play with me, that I was signing off the site because of the grievances I foresaw playing this simple game on line. Well, I got spineless and started to get all these interesting challengers asking if I would play the game with them. Since my average number of points per turn was fairly high I figured that's why all the attention...well, no.

Interestingly, almost all of the challengers were males. I couldn't figure it out. Then there is a 'chat' feature which in the old Scrabble I used to converse with my favorites, old friends and my brother. Well, every single man that "challenged" me with point averages as great as mine or better [the only requests that I accepted] wanted to chat. You've probably guessed that's not what they really were after. 

I started to feel like I was a secret member of the lonely heart's club. To a man they wanted to know: exactly where I lived;  my occupation; one guy even typed "can we be special friends?"; was I married?; one man asked "can we could get to know each other better?"; it goes on and on. Curiously they would repeatedly ask the same questions and I realized that they were repeating themselves, I pointed this out. 

Very soon, I learned I could turn off chat, but at first I was perplexed by all the chatty men...then I figured it out. Almost all were in isolating jobs with lots of time on their hands. All were divorced, some widowed but generally hoping to find relationship on line in this peculiar fashion. My profile picture is a nice one, several years old so hard to tell my age. I'm blond and smiley. Hmmm.

Although I did feel sad for them, especially at their pathetic attempt to engage an anonymous woman who plays a pretty good game of Scrabble in a "relationship". Frankly it started to feel creepy and I could no long tolerate the distraction from the game.  

Finally I muted the chat line. Here is the suggestion I have for anyone who is a Scrabble player, female and might desire some male attention, sign up for Scrabble Go and use a nice somewhat flattering picture of yourself.  If you desire a friend,  soul mate or a relationship Scrabble Go could be the venue for you! Seriously though, I don't think this is a good idea. You never know who is on the other end of the game on their computer. It really could be a scammer, or could be lots worse than a scammer. So before you mute your chat my suggestion is you take the compliment of the all that attention then giggle with me and mute them ASAP. 
 
 susansmagicfeather 2020 copyright all rights reserved Susan R. Grout 

No comments:

Post a Comment