Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Shocking, Dangerous Ways in which I Live



Dangerous living can be defined in different ways. Here a several shocking examples of the different ways, with some of my routines, that I inevitably raise eyebrows.

While reading a cookbook this morning I read: 'cook the clams for 4 to 5 minutes, after that discard any unopened clams'. Hmm,  I think those little clams deserve more of a chance. I always give the unopened ones a minute or two more. I have a stomach that defies the dictum.

While looking through my refrigerator I notice the mustard's  expiration date was more than a year ago. To the horror of my sons, I slathered mustard on a sandwich and it tasted fine. Still standing.

While scrounging through my refrigerator I came upon a delicious dish that I'd made sometime last week and decided to eat it, all of it. Smelled fine. Still standing.

While cooking I frequently follow no recipe and carelessly fling ingredients into the pots and pans. Missing ingredient? No problem. I just substitute whatever I have on hand. I do taste everything right out of the pans and then proceed. Works out deliciously more than 90% of the time.

While it is advisable, I never refrigerate our frequently consumed ketchup. Still standing.


While on vacation I frequently had a second glass of wine knowing I'd probably be awake in the middle of the night. That's what books on my phone are for.

Speaking of reading, if the book  I'm reading is only semi engrossing, I start yet another book.

If  reading a book that's only so-so, I'll read the first one hundred pages and then read the last fourth of the book, works fine.

Even though  I have three videos and seven books out of the library I took out several more books. Some of the materials, gasp, are overdue.

Before cross country skiing recently, I realized it's been many years since I daringly cinched up my skis. Ignoring injury I ventured forth. 

Despite the fact it's been more than a year since my last mammogram, I didn't make the appointment. The squeeze can wait while the medical establishment fights it out on how often I should have that test.

To the exasperation of my husband and the amusement of my friends, I almost always have my car on cruise control. Former lead foot ---adieu.

Stay tuned for more rebellious behavior launched by a woman of a certain age. 
My love to all.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2019 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved 


No comments:

Post a Comment