Friday, May 9, 2014

More on Bibliotherapy, One of My Most Requested Posts

There isn't a better present than a new  book, no matter what the occasion
A lovely part of grandparenting 
Start them young, a joy for a live time
  I'm adding to the collection of favorite books that I started years ago on this blog.


My Mama who said, "what would I do without books?"
  1. The Invention of Wings- Sue Monk Kidd, not an easy read but based on historical figures, first ones to tie feminism with abolition.
  2. The Museum of Extraordinary Things- Alice Hoffman, always a good read.
  3. Talking to the Dead- Harry Bingham, main character is a woman detective, Fiona, in Wales that I quite liked.
  4. Love Story with Murders also Harry Bingham.
  5. Isabelle Allende: Portraits in Sepia; Daughters of Fortune; Maya's Notebook; Ripper. All good the last two her latest the former ones written a dozen years ago or so.
  6. Knocking on Heaven's Door- Katy Butler, non fiction and an important book about how we medically over treat the old.
  7. How the Irish Saved Civilization- Thomas Cahill, excellent, I did three posts on this I was so taken with it.
  8. Let the Great World Spin- Colum McCulla, I plan to read this one every five years.
  9. Broken for You-Stephanie Kallos, Seattle centered, excellent read and I loved the characters
  10. Four ! by Isabelle Allende: Daughters of Fortune; Portraits in Sepia; and her newest ones- Maya's Notebook; Ripper.
  11. Boys in the Boat- Daniel 
  12. This House of Sky- Ivan Doig
  13. I Still Dream of You- Fannie Flagg
  14. Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor Frankel
  15. Devil in the White City - Eric Larson
What the mother sings to the cradle goes all the way down to the grave.                                                                         Henry Ward Beecher
One of the reason I take great pleasure in writing down these few favorites is because of the requests from readers of the blog and I aim to please. Another reason is that it refreshes my tender memories of the "Friday-morning-two-person-book-club" that I shared with my dear Mother until days before her death in 2010. Sharing these books with you [especially if I get feed back] is deeply satisfying, as is true with all things that I love. 

One of the wisest things we all can do to increase enjoyment and wisdom in our lives is to read, read, read. Then when you find a great book, please do share. My ears, eyes, and heart is open to any new great book finds.

Thanks as always for reading.

susansmagicfeather  copyright 2014 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment