Wednesday, September 11, 2013

So, I Did It, On to the Next Adventure

I know I'm not between a rock and a hard place, I've opened up a new adventure in my life.




On July 26 of this great year I called the social security office. I was for years hesitant to do so,  it felt like I was playing the "age card" but better sense prevailed. When I got everything squared away and knew that each month money would be coming in, it dawned on me that it was optional that I continue with my counseling practice. Remember I opened for business in our small town in December of 1986. I realize that some of you reading this hadn't been born yet. Also remember that I willingly and enthusiastically have been working at one job or another since I was fourteen years old. I think that's enough time to put in.

Make no mistake, I loved and cherished all of my clients, still do. I often, behind their backs, bragged to anyone who inquired about my clientele "I see fabulous people" and this was absolutely true.  Nonetheless I wanted new adventures and a much need break fretting about other people's dilemmas and problems.

I have had some wonderful and some funny reactions to spreading the news that I am now officially retired. One of my favorite clients said, "I don't think you are allowed to do that," and then she laughed, we both did. I'm still getting calls and e mails and messages on my Facebook page and hence this formal post that I will happily refer you to other good therapists.

Let me just add that I am filled with gratitude for the counseling practice that I created. First of all I've been blessed to work at my hearts desire-- and I might add, one of the most satisfying jobs in the world. Counseling is a humbling, rewarding, inspiring, fulfilling, fascinating and difficult profession and I relished my time doing it.  Secondly, I so loved [and still do] all of the great people who came to my practice. It has been a deep privilege to work with all of you.

My sister Sally says this blog has been my "senior project" and interestingly, if I dare to think of myself- not as a high school student- but as a senior citizen, indeed it is. This blog wasn't even possible several years ago when I was working full time.  I was devoting hours to reading everything I could get my hands on and going to workshops to advance my knowledge of whatever the clients were bringing to me. It took working in a partially retired mode for me to open up this window for writing and I really enjoy it. The hours fly by and it's a rich and a rewarding experience. I intend to keep giving away all of my best thoughts, ideas, therapy tips and stories to anyone who wants them. Such a deal!


 I'm here in our small town and feeling fine. By the way, today is the one year anniversary of my hip surgery and the liberation and gratitude that I feel about being able to walk without pain is a bonus and wonderful. I am looking forward to traveling, writing, volunteering and gathering friends and family for extended visits.

My love to all and thank you, thank you.



susansmagicfeather copyright 2013 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is never boring to read, Susan. My mom recently had left hip replacement and recuperating well. She was told the right would eventually have to be replaced too but not yet. With all the depuy asr lawsuit going on talking about the risks and complications, no wonder she's scared to have it in the first place. I totally agree with her but limping with pain and limited mobility is just too heavy to bear on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input Ada, and as for Mom tell her that is she is with a top surgeon {imperative that this be the #1 factor in deciding the surgery] she should know that he/she is on top of what is the most important, effective appliance available and they will use that. I respectfully urge Mom to investigate who is the most astute surgeon in her area. I did and am reaping the rewards of a sucessful surgery. Thanks for reading and my best to you and to Mom!

    ReplyDelete