Monday, February 11, 2013

A Manner of Healing

Prior to the operation I was leaning to one side and favoring my right leg.

After my total hip replacement operation in September,  I wanted to be on the fast track to healing so I could again partake in the things I love: hiking, biking, swimming and dancing. At first I would say to anyone who'd listen, "I just want to be able to walk". This particularly made sense to the people who saw me prior to surgery  and witnessed me dragging my leg behind me. Ouch in more ways than one. However, after surgery and being human, as soon as I masterred walking again I quickly added, "I'd like to hike three miles pain free, no props." Now in addition to walking, hiking, and swimming my new goal is yoga and dancing. Never satisfied or reaching for a new goal? I can't decide if this is striving and worthwhile or dissatifaction and forgetting to be grateful for the newly appreciated pain free pleasures in my life. At least I'm not adding marathons to my list.

Competition
By nature I am a competitive person. I really didn't believe I was until I entered a "fun run" in our town many years ago. Mind you when I entered this race, I didn't jog at all and I ran hardly ever but that didn't stop me from entering. When I started I internally declared "I'll have fun and take it easy." My then eight and ten year old sons were in the same race and I didn't expect to keep up with them and that was fine by me. I was so proud of my boys and wanted them to do well, as for me it was to be 'que sera sera'. Except that wasn't true. When older or heavier people passed me by I felt compelled to surpass their efforts. You do realize how absurd this was, I hadn't trained for five minutes for this race. Well, I finished the race in a not too embarrassing time. Lordy did I ever pay for it! I couldn't walk for several days and was miserable trying to get to sleep at night. By God, I showed those older, fatter people a thing or two didn't I? I bet they really cared. My family made fun of me forever ---as well they should.



 This above story brings me to my recovery from the hip surgery. Intellectually I got the concept that I should be reasonable and go at my own pace. Did I? No. It didn't help that people who'd had the surgery years before told me they were walking unaided by canes or walkers after only a couple of weeks. I kept asking myself, "why is my recovery so much slower than theirs?" If I'm being completely honest, it did bother me greatly. I asked my physical therapist about this and she said, "they probably don't accurately remember their recovery..." The only thing I could compare this to was child birth. No one would have a baby two or three weeks after giving birth and happily this is not biologically possible. But a year after the baby is born, the old hormones kick in and you've forgotten the pain because you have this great product. So I think it's the same with the recovery from surgery. You forget the nights that you suffered because you did too much during the day [me anyway], the muscles screaming at you right after the surgery, the difficulty of moving without pain. Now that I can walk, hike, swim I keep reaching for the next level. I am trying my best to be sensible and mostly I am but at least a once a week I push too vigorously and pay for it at night. OW!




A very important part in my recovery was the support of wonderful people and a special feline.


How wonderful it is to be on the other side of healing from my operation in September. A surprise bonus was that I [with sisters Sally and Trisha and husband Mr. G] went to Kauai and each day did lots of swimming and snorkeling in warm water. The advantage: it jet propelled my healing. Prior to Kauai I was walking with a cane or trekking poles for long walks and now I don't need these props. The freedom is remarkable and not anything I will ever again take for granted in my life. To all of you who struggle on a daily basis with walking, and with pain, my heart goes out to you. Don't do as I do and over exert, "be loving and diligent" as St. Augustine said and then you can do whatever you want.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2013 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment