Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Glory of Singing Siblings

As white a candle in a holy place, So is the beauty of an aged face.
Joseph Campbell
All the siblings plus a niece at Mom's Memorial
Knowing that someone has your back is indeed important. Knowing that someone, always and forever, has your heart is a treasure greater than words. That's what it's like to have love from your sisters and brothers. My siblings have been there for me at each important moment of my life: the weddings; the babies; the anniversaries and the celebrations. They've been there for me on the sad occasions too: the deaths; and the memorials; the illnesses and the operations. Every occasion.

Singing with our brother in many part harmony

There's something about families singing together that is just better than any other groups you can pick or make. If it's family, if it's blood-on-blood, then it's gonna be better. The voices singing their parts are going to be tighter and they're going to be more on pitch. Because it's bloodline-on-bloodline.
Johnny Cash
I am the second oldest of six kids and except for our brother at the end of the line, its sisters all the way. I revel in this fact and, as a matter of fact, we even named our singing group that we had for six years "Sibling Revelry", to honor us. We were raised on singing, my part always being harmony. This was natural because my Sally had a more beautiful soprano voice and besides, I like being a "second fiddle". Sal and I actually made it to the radio when she was eleven and I nine singing "Tonight You Belong to Me". Sadly this did not lead to fame or even a recording contract.

Our parents were not stellar but could be really fun and as Sally said, "they didn't really raise us, we raised ourselves." Too true, Mom was busy with the littler ones and Dad worked sometimes fourteen hours a day. However, they did give us the priceless gift of music. When we'd have relatives over, or  had parties, or when we went for the very occasional vacation we'd sing. The songs were the ones that our parents knew, from the 1920's to the 50's. We were also treated to songs that my Mom's parents taught her, and we have taught these to our children. Dad being more 'underparented' than just about anyone but an abandon child [see post of 3/25/2011 for the story], may not have even been around singing until he was a teenager, working in his father's restaurant. He enthusiastically contributed the songs of his teenage years.

I know that in some families, [many that I have worked with in my counseling practice], siblings are not a joy but a constant source of headache or heartache. In many families the siblings are so estranged that they seldom speak and never see each other. I always internally think, "how sad." But then they don't have the wonderful siblings that I do. These are people who are not only intelligent but creative and caring--- plus they sing at the drop of a hat. Nirvana.

I'm not sure that this piece of advice will fly for most families, but from my own experience I suggest that families sing together. Start now. It melds, shapes and harmonizes families in a positive way. The singing aids us all through the difficult times and the celebrations. Besides that, it can't hurt.

susansmagicfeather copyright 2012 Susan R. Grout all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment